Texas License Plate Wall Art


For this project you'll need to find some license plates: either your own or try antique shops. The older they are, the more expensive! Make sure you clean them first. I let mine soak in warm soapy water for 20 minutes and then wash them with a washcloth.


Using a strong adhesive, tape the plates together. Make an outline of the state, cut, and tape to plates. Spray paint (using outdoor red) the remaining areas. It will seep under the stencil giving it more detail around the edges. Then paint over (using bottled paint) afterwards to give it a vintage-y look. Lastly, coat entire piece with a clear spray paint top coat.


I got new screws and used the holes already in the license plates. From Michael's I got a 12" x 12" (two license plates equal perfectly!) wooden plaque; about 1" to 2" thick. I stained it "ebony" and drilled the plates in.

5 comments:

  1. This so fun. I will have to make one myself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well!customlicenseplates.info

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Texas shape is a bit off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a craft, not a masterpiece. So what if it's off a bit? No need to be critical.

      Delete
  4. Did you tape Texas to the plates before spraying? Making this!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...